The Habit Poem Who Am I? – Mindset for Success

Your habits shape the person you are and the results you get. They carve your identity and can be your greatest friend or your worst enemy. Many years ago when I was training for ultra-distance triathlons, my training partner shared a poem, called the Habit Poem, \ to help illustrate the importance of creating routines and habits. Furthermore, why it is so important to stick with them consistently. ‘Habits, he said, are what will help you achieve great results. They will determine whether you do a mediocre performance or whether you win a medal.’

That last bit really piqued my curiosity. So much so that when I read the poem I decided I would stick to my training plan, create healthy habits around my self-care and recovery. You see, I wanted to race well and qualify for the BIG race – The Hawaiian Ironman.

And, I am pleased to say that I did! I created a habit plan and stuck with it consistently. So I guess I learnt about the importance of habits from the habit poem and this helped develop a Champion Mindset.

Furthermore, I wrote the habit poem at the beginning of my book, Creating Healthy Life Habits. It is also why I focus on helping my clients create healthy and helpful habits and always give them a copy of my book with the habit poem at the start of our coaching program.

I wrote the habit poem in my book creating healthy life habits

Remember, you have habits of thought and feeling as well as behaviours and actions. It is when you master all three areas, that the magic happens and transformations are the expectation, and something I see often with my clients.

Here is the habit poem. Enjoy the read and I hope it inspires you to create some habits in your life. My tip to make them stick? Start super small and check out the importance of keystone habits.

The key is to prove to yourself that you are the sort of person who does what they say they will do. This builds trust in yourself, belief and you become a person of integrity. Someone who does what they say they will do consistently – the essence of the habit poem.

 

WHO AM I?

I am your constant companion.

I am your greatest help or heaviest burden.

I will push you onwards or drag you down to failure.

I am completely at your command.

Half the things you do you might just as well turn over to me and I will do them quickly and correctly.

I am easily managed; you must merely be firm with me.

Show me exactly how you want something done and after a few lessons, I will do it automatically.

I am the servant of all great men and women and, alas, of all failures as well.

Those who are great, I have made great. Those who are failures, I have made failures.

I am not a machine, though I work with the precision and repetition of a machine, plus the intelligence of a human.

You may run me for profit or run me for ruin, it makes no difference to me.

Take me, train me, be firm with me, and I will place the world at your feet. Be easy with me and I will destroy you.

Who am I?

I am a Habit.

Anonymous Riddle

What do you think about the habit poem?

Do let me know your thoughts about the habit poem. Moreover, I hope it is as powerful to you as it was for me so many years ago? And if you have ever wondered exactly why we find it hard to stick to our habits and do the things we know we should, then please get a FREE copy of my ebook Your Winning Mindset Formula.

And to end in the words of John Dryden,

‘We first make our habits and then our habits make us.’

If you are ready to step up to the next level in your life and breakthrough your current results then I invite you to book a Next Level Breakthrough Session on my online calendar.

About Mandy

Mandy Napier is a Global Mindset & Performance Coach who helps her clients create a Mindset for Success so they can perform optimally both personally and professionally. Ultimately to break through their current blocks and achieve the level of success and results they strive for. Transformations and lasting results are an everyday occurrence. Guaranteed.

OTHER FREE RESOURCES

Email: info@mindsetforsuccess.com.au

Web: www.mindsetforsuccess.com.au

Subscribe to my YouTube Channel for weekly videos

Join the private Facebook group Winning Mindsets 

 

The post The Habit Poem Who Am I? – Mindset for Success appeared first on Mindset for Success.

Comments